§13109. Dealer's registration and license.
1. Application and issuance. A person may not engage in the business of selling new or used snowmobiles in the State unless the person has registered as a dealer and secured a valid dealer's license from the commissioner. A dealer so registered and licensed need not register individual snowmobiles. For the purposes of this subsection, "new snowmobile" means a snowmobile that has not been registered in this State or any other state or for which sales tax has not been paid in this State or any other state if that other state taxes the purchase of a new snowmobile.
Each day a person violates this subsection, that person commits a Class E crime for which a minimum fine of $50 and an amount equal to twice the applicable license fee must be imposed.
2. Fees. The dealer's registration and license fee is $18 annually from each July 1st.
3. Dealer's number plates. Dealer's number plates must be provided and obtained as follows.
A. A registered dealer may receive dealer's number plates. The annual fee for a dealer's number plate is:
(1) For a resident dealer's plate, $19; and
(2) For a nonresident dealer's plate, $63.
B. Replacement for lost or stolen dealer's number plates may be obtained for a fee of $8 for each plate.
C. If a dealer's number plate is lost or stolen, the owner shall notify the commissioner immediately.
4. Temporary registrations and numbers. The commissioner may issue temporary numbers and registrations for snowmobiles to bona fide dealers who may, upon the sale or exchange of a snowmobile, issue them to new owners in order to allow them to operate snowmobiles for a period of 20 consecutive days after the day of sale in lieu of a permanent number as required by this chapter.
5. Display of dealer's number. Dealers shall display their dealer's number on each snowmobile being used until the sale of the snowmobile, whereupon it becomes the owner's responsibility to register the snowmobile.
A. A dealer who violates this subsection commits a civil violation for which a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 may be adjudged.
B. A dealer who violates this subsection after having been adjudicated as having committed 3 or more civil violations under this Part within the previous 5-year period commits a Class E crime.
C. Each day a dealer violates this subsection is a separate offence.
§13110. Snowmobile repair shop registration and license
1. Application and issuance. A person whose business includes repairing snowmobiles but who is not required to be licensed as a snowmobile dealer under section 13109 may register that business entity as a snowmobile repair shop and secure a snowmobile repair shop license and number plate from the commissioner.
2. Fee. The commissioner shall set the fee for a snowmobile repair shop license. The fee may not exceed $18 for any 12-month period.
3. Field testing repairs on unregistered snowmobiles. The owner of a snowmobile repair shop licensed under this section may operate or allow the operation of an unregistered snowmobile for the purpose of field testing repairs to that snowmobile if:
A. Valid snowmobile repair shop number plates issued under this section are affixed to the snowmobile during the field test; and
B. The snowmobile is not owned by the snowmobile repair shop or any person employed by the snowmobile repair shop.
Operating an unregistered snowmobile in compliance with this subsection is not a violation of section 13104, subsection 1.
§13111. Snowmobile rental agent certificate
1. Registration and issuance. Except as provided in this section, a person or business may not rent or lease a snowmobile unless that person or business:
A. Registers with the department as a snowmobile rental agent and is issued a snowmobile rental agent certificate from the commissioner;
B. Obtains a Maine certificate of number for each snowmobile being offered for rent or lease in the name of the person or business holding that certificate; and
C. Instructs each person who rents or leases a snowmobile how to operate the snowmobile, including how to use the brake, throttle and kill switch, and provides to that person a pamphlet describing proper hand signals.
2. Exception; guides. This section does not apply to a person lawfully engaged in guiding activities under section 12853 who accompanies others on guided trips that include the use of snowmobiles, except that such a person must provide the operators of snowmobiles with instructions equivalent to those described in subsection 1, paragraph C.
3. Fee. The fee for a snowmobile rental agent certificate is $28. The certificate is valid from July 1st to June 30th.
4. Prohibition; penalty. A person may not rent or lease a snowmobile in violation of this section.
Other Snowmobiling Links
Welcome to Northern Maine, the best snowmobile trail riding experience in the eastern U.S. Some trails in Aroostook are converted railroad beds, while others may traverse a power line up and over large rolling hills that capture the picturesque beauty of the landscape. Summer roads, abandoned logging roads and other club trails lead the snowmobiler to spectacular sites of snow-laden spruce maple and birch forests. You can snowmobile over the crest of a hill and look out at the variety of terrain "The County" has to offer.
Snowmobile Laws and Regulations -
Snowmobile Laws and Regulations
Registration and Title -
Registration and Title
Dealer`s Registration and License -
Dealer`s Registration and License
Landowner Liabilities -
Reporting Accidents -
Operation of Snowmobile & Trail Ethics -
Operation of Snowmobile & Trail Ethics
Reciprocity Laws -
Noise Limitations -
Dealer, Repair Shop, Rental Registration -
Dealer, Repair Shop, Rental Registration
Canadian Border Crossing Notes -
Canadian Border Crossing Notes
Northern Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map -
Northern Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map
Central Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map -
Central Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map
Southern Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map -
Southern Aroostook County Area Snowmobile Trail Map
Katahdin Area Snowmobile Trail Map -
Katahdin Area Snowmobile Trail Map
Snowmobile Clubs -
Northern Maine is a snowmobiling mecca, and we have clubs that generously support your great riding experience. Join a club today!